- Two (2) tbsp. vegetable oil
- Eighteen (18)oz Andouille sausage, sliced
- One (1) ham hock or pork salt
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- One (1) cup green pepper, diced
- One (1) cup celery, diced
- Six (6) cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Three (3) bay leaves
- ¾ tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Two (2) quarts chicken broth
- 1 ½ lb red kidney beans, soaked for 6 hours
- White rice
- Green onions, chopped for garnish
- Soak red kidney beans in water for 6 hours.
- Using a large pot heat oil on medium heat. Cook the andouille sausage and salt pork until browned.
- Add the pepper, celery and onion and cook until translucent. Toss in the garlic for the last minute.
- Add thyme, sage, black pepper, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, chicken broth and pre-soaked red beans.
- Once it is brought to a boil, turn to low heat and simmer on low for 3 hours. Around the halfway mark, use a wire smasher or large spoon and mash about ¼ of the red beans to thicken the broth.
- Cook rice, place in bowl and cover with cooked red beans.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
*Click here to see what's new in our online store!