Serves five (5) ppl.
- Six (6) tbsp. butter
- Two (2) tbsp. olive oil
- Seven (7) medium yellow onions
- Four (4) sprigs of thyme
- Two (2) bay leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Seven (7) cloves of garlic
- Six (6) tbsp. All-purpose flour
- Eight (8) cups of low sodium beef broth
- Five (5) small sourdough bread bowels
- One (1) lb. gruyere cheese, shredded
- Parsley, chopped
- In a large ditch oven pot, heat butter and oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir often for 35 min to an hour, until onions have caramelized.
- Remove thyme bundle and bay leaves.
- Pour in red wine and bring to a simmer. Cook until it is almost reduced.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour for 2 minutes.
- Add beef broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Cut top of bread and scoop out the insides of the lower half to create a bowel.
- Cut the top into cubes. Set aside.
- Place bowels on a baking sheet and line the bottom of each with shredded gruyere cheese.
- Broil until lightly toasted (approximately 1 1/2 minutes).
- Remove from oven and fill with soup.
- Top each with cubed bread tops and gruyere cheese.
- Please back in broiler until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with parsley.
*Check out our newest seasonings here !