Check out our new seasonings here
Serves approximately 8-10 ppl
- Six (6) lb. chicken, whole
- Three (3) celery stalks, cut in half
- Three (3) carrots, cut in half
- One (1) white onion, quartered
- One (1) bulb of garlic, cut in half
- Three (3) sprigs of thyme
- Twenty (20) peppercorns
- One (1) tbsp. salt
- Three (3) bay leaves
- Two (2) tbsp. olive oil
- One (1) white onion, chopped
- One (1) green bell pepper, chopped
- One (1) whole chicken (previously cooked – see above)
- Two (2) garlic cloves, minced
- One (1) 14oz, can of fire roasted tomatoes
- One (1) 14 oz. can of black beans
- One (1) 14oz. can of corn
- One (1) tsp. cumin
- One (1) tsp. chili powder
- One (1) tsp. paprika
- One (1) cup vegetable oil
- Five (5) corn tortillas, cut into strips
- One (1) lime, to garnish
- Sour Cream, to garnish
- Radishes, to garnish
- Cotija cheese, to garnish
- Place whole chicken in a large pot and cover with water.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaves and salt.
- Stir, bring to a boil and simmer for 1 ½ hour.
- Remove chicken from broth. After approximately 15 minutes, remove skin and debone. Add skin and bones back into your chicken broth and set heat to a simmer.
- Place shredded chicken into a bowl and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot on medium high heat.
- Add onions, bell peppers and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook until the onions become translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cook for approximately 30 seconds.
- Add pulled chicken, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder and paprika.
- Using a strainer, incorporate the premade chicken broth into your chicken mixture until desired soup consistency is reached. Note: We like a hearty soup, so we used 5 ½ cups.
- Stir and turn heat up to medium-high.
- Add vegetable oil to the bottom of a pan and set on medium-high heat.
- Once the oil starts to smoke, add tortilla strips.
- Cook until they reach a golden-brown color and place on a paper towel to dry.
- Serve into a bowl and top with fried tortilla strips, sour cream, sliced radishes, cotija cheese and a squeeze of lime.
Get your FLAVOR ON here