Serves four (4) people
- One (1) whole chicken
- One (1) large lemon, thickly sliced
- One (1) medium white onion, sliced
- Three (3) cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- Two (2) tbsp. fresh thyme (or rosemary)
- Three (3) tbsp. olive oil
- Coy Zesty Garlic and Herb Seasoning (or your personal preference), to taste
- Three (3) tbsp. butter
- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- Heat oven to 450 degrees
- Place sliced lemon on the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Top with onions, a layer of sliced garlic and fresh thyme (or rosemary) on top. I like to add a couple whole herb sprigs as well.
- Spackcock a whole chicken: Remove the backbone, lay skin side up and flatten. Dry off chicken with a paper towel.
- Drizzle olive oil on both sides, rub into skin and season both sides liberally with Coy Zesty Garlic and Herb seasoning.
- Place chicken on lemon and onion mixture (skin side up)
- Place skillet in oven and cook for 30 minutes
- Remove and place butter and chicken stock around the chicken. Avoid putting on the chicken so that your skin remains crispy.
- Place back in oven until you reach an internal temp of 165 degrees (approx. 15 minutes)
*Check out our seasonings here !